Friday 20 July 2012

Bobby's Sporting Diary

It's always best, but not always possible, to understand autistic kids through their own words. Until now, you've been relying on me to get to know Bobby and Alec. But the other day, Bobby's Olympic Book came home. Now Bobby's not usually the most prolific writer. In fact, can't be arsed is the most accurate phrase.

But Mario and Sonic at the London 2012 Olympics had inspired him to such an extent that when it came to sports day, there was untold excitement in the Elley household.

Not only that, but Bobby faithfully recorded all the action in his very own diary. This was all dictated to his learning assistant M'lanie over a number of days. For anyone who doubts that he wrote this on his own, I've only one thing to say. You couldn't make it up.

I'm going to try and ask Bobby for more diary entries as excitement over the Olympics grows (his, not mine, I'm afraid I'm a bit blase at this stage). Until then, it's interesting and fun to read how an 'obsession' can be turned to advantage. Over to Bobby:

 12/7/12

Dear Diary on Sports Day I got dressed quickly. I was so excited because it was sports Day. After I got dressed I went downstairs for breakfast. I got to school early Daddy took me. We are doing   literacy right now so I will continue later.

Hi I’m Bobby I’m back. I have been training for months for today, especially basketball and football. (mum - not that I'd noticed. I think that's what we in the trade call an outright fib). I really, actually LOVE the long jump. I feel great!!! Excellent really about my long jump. I think it is better than running because I always come last in that. I will continue later.

Hi, I am back again. I expect to be the winner in every event. I won’t feel bad about it though if I lose. Mummy and Daddy I expect will shout Go Bobby, Go Bobby, I will feel excellent, proud really, whatever. I imagine the chair passing event it’s children standing on the chairs passing the ball. They won’t be wobbling hopefully. Continue later, by Bobby Elley.


13/7/12

Hi it’s Mario. Well when it was sports day, well the afternoon, the hockey event was first. It was great for me. I scored a goal, or two, or three, mum and dad shouted good luck Mario. I felt shy but I called the event the ‘Sonic the Hedgehog Goalie’ then I didn’t feel shy. My favourite ones were basket ball and the chair ball passing game.

I loved the basketball one I called it ‘Super Mario Bro Basketball’.  You had to get the ball in the short or the long pipe. I got it in the short pipe I scored about six balls in the pipe. That was good I think.

The chair ball passing game I called it ‘Super Sonic Chair Pass’. You pass the Sonic ball to the next player, when it gets to the last player you have to run to the front. Next was the hurdles, I called it ‘Super Mario Course 1-1’. I ran like the characters of Mario and Sonic at the London Olympic Games. I ran so well and I did a spin jump too. Mum and dad shouted Go Bobby Go. Then dad said well done Mario, I felt wow! Continue later, I am off for a piece of sports day, I mean toast.

I’m back. Next was the balance beam. I called it ‘Mario Course 1-2’. You had to balance and walk and jump your way along the balance beams. I did great but not the jumping because I did not have enough balance. On the relay course I called it ‘Mario Course 1-3’. Daddy had gone back to work by now because he was worried he would be late. Grandma just took photos of me.

After the relay we had a rest. I watched all the other children do their events. I waved to Jayden doing the mountain climb, he was doing great. Go Jayden I shouted. We did the golf target, you had to swing the golf club as hard as you could. Even though you tried really hard you didn’t get any points. I thought I did really well though. At the end of the day, the last thing of the day, throwing the bean bags into the rings. Like Olympic rings but no black ones. I called it ‘Sonic Bounce’.


The results were:

3rd Japan,

2nd Jamaica,

1st Italy.

I felt so disappointed we only came 5th. But I won a gold medal for doing so well in every event. I wore it. I got a Hungary flag too. It’s not the winning that matters it’s the playing that counts and taking part too. My friend Jahmyrie, is in Jamaica. I got another special prize, a Mario figure, a standing up Mario figure.

I felt great when I got in bed last night. I listened to Horrid Henry’s sports day. Wait a minute; oh! that’s the end of my diary now.

Goodbye.




1 comment:

  1. LOVED reading this!!!! Absolutely amazing! And, I must say - we found Arie's old school diaries a few years ago, and this beats them all hollow. Arie's basically said "Today I went to school, and then I played tennis. And that was that." for each entry... : ) Go Bobby! (err, Mario, I mean)

    XO

    --D

    ReplyDelete